Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

In His Words

My son receives special education services. As a recipient of these services, he also has had an opportunity to befriend many children that also receive special education services but have less opportunities for integration and mainstream class experiences. Today Sandis had some thoughts about one such little boy that I’ll call “Bob”.

“My friend Bob doesn’t talk out loud using English, Spanish or even sign language. He talks in other ways but in quiet. Sometimes he and I get into trouble because we are playing and not doing what Mrs. ----- wants.”

This is fascinating to me. It never occurred to my son to say that Bob didn’t talk or that Bob is nonverbal, he just doesn’t talk “out loud.” He talks, of course, because Sandis communicates with him and plays with him several times a day, but it just isn’t in the way that you and I are used to.

So why is this important?

This is important because my son is demonstrating to us adults what true true lack of discrimination is. The very fact that it never occurred to him that Bob didn’t talk, only that he talks differently, is awesome and telling. I have seen the word non-verbal in reference to children and adults many times, but now I question its validity.

All humans, regardles off their abilities, communicate. Some just don’t talk “out loud."

3 comments:

Vivian said...

Sarah, that is so beautiful. You have an incredible little man. I am so thankful that you share with us the truths that are Sandis.

Minnesota Nice said...

Sarah that is soooooo cool. I love it.

Penny Ratzlaff said...

What insight your little man has. I think we could learn a thing or two from him.