Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Monday, November 26, 2007

Upcoming Events and Fare For All

These next few weeks are pretty full of new opportunities for me. The Parents of Children with Autism Support Group meets this Thursday, and it is my third meeting as co-facilitator. Partners in Policymaking weekend #3 begins this Friday. Next week Gracie begins her IEP evaluations. December 11th I will give my first testimony before legislators concerning Improving Health Care Coverage including Home Care and Therapy. Sandis has an IEP review team meeting the same day as my testimony. There is a lot going on, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the level of involvement I have.

Here is the official flyer for the Legislative Town Forum.



Finally, I found a great resource the other day while waiting in line to sign my kids up for Toys for Tots. Sometimes, you know, that happens. You find a great resource while thinking only of other things. This particular resource is not a resource only for the disabled community, but more a resource for all families. Please take a moment and check out Fare For All . This program is really stinkin’ cool.

Food is a universal need. The cost of food and the limiting factors associated with its cost, especially for working families who do not qualify for federal food assistance, or older adults on fixed incomes that qualify for very limited or no federal food assistance. My family is a working family. We spend approximately 400 dollars per month on food and toiletries (or more depending on the month). Fare For All distributes (for a price, but a hugely reduced price) FRESH fruits and vegetables as well as frozen meats. This program really addresses the highest need for food, because this is just the sort of food you CAN’T get at a food shelf (or most food shelves).

I am going to try this program out and I will share with you the types of food I receive. For $17, how can I afford NOT to?

1 comment:

meanderings said...

I think it sounds like a wonderful opportunity. What a great program!