Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A Leap of Faith

Well, not exactly a leap of faith, but something to that effect. I have lost around 20 lbs since my surgery in September last year. I started at around 168 and I am weighing in around 148 now, with no indications that my weight is beginning to rise. With the decreased weight also comes a decreased insulin need. I would estimate that my insulin usage is approximately half of what it was this time last year. I am averaging less than 25 units per day, and often times I am under 20 units.

The past couple of months I have been adjusting how I take insulin. If my bolus wizard cues me to take 3.6 units of insulin, I’ve been administering 1.8 units of insulin. This has been working fairly well, and although I have had a few lows (and a few highs) it seems about right. Today I took the final step (my leap of diabetes faith) and changed my ratios in my pump. My insulin to carbohydrate ratio is now 1/16 (it was 1/8) and my correction is 1/70 (it was 1/35.) I’m hoping to see some better numbers with this as my intent is to consistently bolus what my wizard prompts me to bolus. This should show me where I am with my ratios (to some degree.)

Other averages of mine seem to be reigning in somewhat since my acquisition of the Mini-Link Transmitter. My morning blood sugars have been routinely fabulous and although I still have the odd night-time low (which I am hesitant to correct yet) I sleep much more soundly (and without inhaling my kitchen beforehand) because my pump will wake me up if my blood sugar drops low. I am still working to correct the multitude of lows that come with losing weight and decreasing insulin needs. I’m hoping my new ratios will help with this, along with the adjustments I made in the weeks prior to my basals.

I am still markedly excited about and pleased with my transmitter. I can’t think of one thing (other than my pump, which I have had for 13 years) which has been more helpful in the care of my diabetes.

No comments: