Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On Poverty

I’ve been extremely busy lately. I’m devoting quite a bit of my energies to advocating for (and lobbying for) the Minnesota Health Act.

One thing has got me bothered, though. And perhaps it is just my oversensitivity.

What is this bothering thing?

A general lack of compassion among the people I am acquainted with.

I get the feeling that if all the poor people just up and died of some incurable Spanish flu bug they wouldn’t be the worse for wear (my acquaintances, as obviously, the impoverished would be greatly affected.) Unfortunately for my acquaintances, were that to happen, they would realize too late that there is always a “bottom” of the money totem pole, and perhaps they would now be closer to it.

Poverty is not an indicator of a person’s low worth. Material riches are not a “good people” status quo we should all strive to reach.

It is not about money people! Money, your house, your rings, and your fabulous wardrobe do not somehow make your opinion more valuable, more poignant, or more meaningful. It simply means you have the means to adorn yourself grandly, and even perhaps others. That is all. You do not suddenly possess more personal “human” worth as your means grow.

I am not rich. I am not desperately poor. I have been desperately poor. When I was desperately poor I still had fears, I still had dreams, and I still read classic literature with fervor. I was no more and no less “human” or “valuable.” I was, however, less “valued” by society as a whole.

Unfortunate, but true.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

You're right about that! In the past I dug in dumpsters for a meal. Then I was blessed with much better. (sarcastic laugh) Now, I still like to listen to classical music as I did before that ever happened. Now, I still have dreams for my special needs children and myself. Now, I still dislike discrimination because I dont look as wealthy/healthy as some other human being.
Now< LOL! I have a computer and can type up answers to thoughts of others and express my own.We are financially not doing well. Definitely existing better than I did years ago in the gutters.
I'm type2 diabetic,high functioning autistic,mom of a 7 with 6 still at home. some are special needs too. We survive.
MeadowLark