Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sick Sick Sick

Being sick always seems to put my diabetes numbers by the wayside. I actually seem to prefer my blood sugars between 150-180, because I so dread a low when I already feel so crummy, that I just won't correct for anything under 180.

I have bronchitis. It is just terrible. I don't often take off from work because usually it is just more economical to save my "vacation" days for when my kids are sick. Isn't that sad? I don't understand why there isn't more unions where people are standing up and saying, you know what? 1 week of paid vacation per year just isn't enough! I don't even get to use that paid vacation for vacation! I use it for FLU SEASON!

I think that Americans are used to not getting what they deserve. I think that Americans are accustomed to there being haves and have nots. I think that Americans have accepted that elitist health care (you only get it if you have money) is just how it is going to be! I don't think it should be this way. I think that for a leading nation which is "supposed" to be a wealthy nation ( I guess per capita it is? Don't tear me up on this, Im no politician)we just don't address social issues enough. We address lots of global issues. But the social issues of everyday people in this country are essentially ignored. And no, I don't think that a 100 dollar rebate on my taxes is a good way to compensate for gas that has soared up to $3.15 a gallon. (So Im rambling but bear with me, I have a fever!)

So here I sit today, trying to determine whether I should use a paid vacation day for today or just let it count against my attendance rate and not get paid. The only real difference between the two is how my paycheck will look next friday....And I am accepting the cards I have been given, because I cannot change them. I dont' believe anything I do will ever change any of this. Politics, my politics, feel beyond my reach and smothered by a thousand bureaucracies.

Im gonna go stop whining and snuggle up and watch some tv. Last I checked my blood sugar was 168. That is two hours post symlin, two hours into 4 hour duration bolus, 2 hours after eating a lemon bar (yummy!). I took 1u of correction because I believe this sugar is going to rise! But, that's all my sugars ever really do when I am sick anyway...RISE....

2 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hope you're feeling better by now - I'm so late on reading posts!

I too get frustrated when I have to use my vacation time to go to doctor appointments and stuff. What a pisser eh?

Sarah said...

Im feeling much better, the augmentin has worked it's magic! Do you use FMLA for anything diabetes related as far as diabetes is concerned? I mean, it isn't PAID time out but.....Since I work for a corporation that is centered around manufacturing, our HR policies are "hourly" oriented and are more geared towards the needs of a factory than an office, so having the FMLA really helps me manage my time and take all the Dr's appointments I need without worrying about attendance repercussions...