Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Choices

Each day we are faced with a set of choices. Each day the result of our actions in relation to our choices clearly illustrates what is most important to us.

What is important to me?

Let’s take a look at what I did yesterday.

I started the day off by sleeping in. I wasn’t feeling all that great and felt that the extra 2 hours would do me good.

Sleep is important to me.
Being on time to work is not so important to me?

I fed the kids before we set out the door because they were past day care breakfast time.

Meeting my children’s basic physical needs is important to me.
Good nutrition is important to me, as Cheetos for breakfast is an excellent dietary selection.

After dropping the kids off at daycare, I picked up the phone on my way to work to call and say hello to Bob the Babe.

My relationship with Bob is important to me.
My own physical safety is relatively unimportant to me as I was on the cell phone while driving…..

On my lunch hour (make that one-half hour) I drove to Target to buy a pair of headphones. I had forgotten the pair I was bringing from the house that morning and decided I needed a pair I could keep at work because working without Jack White is intolerable.

Music rocks! And it is important to me
I love Jack White, and even though I called Bob (again while driving) on my way to get my headphones, I was bent upon resuming my illicit relationship with Jack White (well mostly with his music, but you get the idea…).

After work I headed to the endocrinologist to get my rather itchy 3-day CGM sensor removed. Obviously I am incapable of removing some tegaderm tape and the sensor myself.

My health and my diabetes care is important to me.
Money is not important to me, as I’m certain I blew ridiculous amounts of it on this 3-day CGM stint.

After spending some quality time at the diabetes center as they “professionally” removed the tegaderm and sensor associated with the 3-day CGM I drove to pick up my daughter from day-care. I then drove us both home where I spent a few minutes putting together a fabulous dinner: Salsbury steak, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob.

Meeting my family’s physical needs is important to me.
Sodium content means nothing to me in regards to nutritional value as the meal I served (aside from the corn on the cob) was microwaveable and LOADED.WITH.SALT.

The kids and I decided to spend some quality time outside playing after dinner. I actually spent the entire hour outside with them!

Active family time is important to me!
Seeing as how I spent the entire hour gabbing with my pal, active family time is less important to me than gabby friend time!

I believe that it is important to make choices that are consistent with your values. My choices are what teach my children to make their future choices. My choices can be their choices. My choices reflect who I am and what I want in life.

There is also something to be said about a healthy, vibrant perspective.

So there are two resolutions to be made in this regard. The first resolution is that your actions reflect your values, consistently. The second is the choice to find the perspective that highlights the good in your choices, rather than the bad.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

That was awesome, I loved it!