Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Coming Full Circle

Ah! The joys of My Space! Did you know that you can do a first and last name search on My Space and pull up all the members that match that first and last name? You can then methodically pick through the search results until you find that person you are searching for. Seriously. My Space is an incredible people finder. People from high school. People from College. People from whenever.

Have you ever been found on Myspace? I have. I’ve also found others. There was one instance where being found on Myspace was an ick ick ick gross ick moment (ex-boyfriend stupid stupid man thing). But last night I was found and it is the awesomest found myspace thing ever.

You see, a long time ago I had a friend. A friend I had going into highschool and a friend I had leaving high school. I adored this friend above and beyond all and others, and the bond I had with her I have treasured and cherished ever since the realization that friendship could be as powerful and as touching as it was with her. And then. I lost her. We both grew up a little. We both moved around a little. (Me? New York, Kansas City, Minnesota, but who is keeping track?) And she is one heck of a lady to be found, I mean, when choosing between Colorado, New Mexico, and Oregon….I never had any luck. Fortunately, around 12 years later, she found me.

I saw that I had an email on my Myspace this morning. I don’t normally get emails on myspace so I figured I would go ahead and check it real quick. I knew who she was by her picture before I read the email. I knew and tears filled my eyes. I knew and I was sad, grateful, happy, forlorn, exuberant…..all at once.

12 years is a long time. 12 years is a lot to miss. But damn. Sonya I am really happy that my life has turned the corners it has. I am really happy I had those corners. I am very grateful I have had the turns. I am blessed for the tragedies and I am stronger for my mistakes. But again I am grateful for all those turns. Because….Without those turns I would never have come full circle to you, and the friendship we once shared.

So I have been busy these past few weeks. It is that time of year again, you know, the before school time of year. School supplies, open houses for school, IEPs, 504s, preschool, 1st grade, teachers, nurses, school administration, getting acquainted, setting the tone. I’m sure most of you know what I mean. Hectic. Between meetings (How many meetings, EXACTLY, should setting up a 504 take? No resistance is being met by any means, but 3 seems a little excessive! ) and post-op appointments (tonsillectomy), pre-op appointments (microdiskectomy), paperwork (FMLA, short term disability, work-release/accommodations, IEP stuff, 504 stuff, school stuff) I’ve been drop-stop overwhelmed.

Amidst all this busy and my stress-induced tummy turning, I’d forgotten how blessed I am. I had forgotten all those gifts I have been given in my life and how fortunate I am. It is easy to forget, but sometimes all it takes is a small (or huge) reminder to remember all the joys we have been granted.

And Really….If I wasn’t so busy, what on earth would I talk about?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes we should be so blessed as to just be busy! Just about a year ago, I lost my job, and then the boredom began and lasted through December. I'm happy to be on the go pretty constantly.

MySpace, while I think it is a huge pain in the butt sometimes, can also be a blessing. Some of my friends NEVER check their regular email, but will read any comment you leave on their MySpace page. One of my friends from elementary school just found me on MySpace, and it's good to see his face again. It's good to know that after all these years, we'd still get along, and we probably have more in common now than before.

The internet brings people together in strange ways!

Shannon said...

You inspired me to get onto my Myspace page and look up my childhood best friend. Guess what...I found her and sent her a message.

I haven't seen her in about 15 yrs and she lives less than 2 hours away from me. We both live in completely different states from where we grew up.

Let's see if she ever checks in because the last time she did was a month ago.

Amberthyme said...

Wow! How awesome and timely of her to find you when you needed her.

Minnesota Nice said...

This just reminded me of something I've never told anyone - many years ago I was standing at a stoplight in downtown Minneapolis and a perky woman tapped me on the shoulder and said "aren't you Kathy ------?" Without even thinking, I said, "no, you've got the wrong person". Needless to say, it was not during a very good phase of my life. She said "oh, I'm sorry. You really look like someone I grew up with".
I still wonder who what was.