Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Friday, November 17, 2006

Blessings Come From Unexpected Places (At Unexpected Times!)

Yesterday, as I was feeling sad about my son, something pretty awesome happened.

For the past few weeks it has been especially apparent to the people at work that I have been under some stress. It has been apparent in my attendance. I haven’t made forty hours in a few weeks, and I didn’t even make THIRTY last week! It has been apparent in my dress, as I am less motivated and I have less energy to invest in looking put together and professional. It has been apparent in my work as my abilities to focus on the task at hand has varied, depending on which crisis I am currently dealing with. They have watched me hold back tears at my desk between jobs, and they have watched me rush out and then rush back in between doctor’s appointments. They have answered my phone at my desk so I wouldn’t miss a call while I was in the bathroom, and they have overheard my COUNTLESS phone calls to doctors, social workers, and school officials. They have watched me try to hold it together for at least the past month. I thought I was doing a pretty good job, but I think they figured out I could use a hand.

At lunch yesterday, as I came back from rescheduling a psychiatry appointment for my son (I have to use my cell for long distance), they surprised me with a card. Completely Unexpected! I didn’t even want to open it, I just burst into tears. I have been trying to hold it together for a long time, and things are finally easing up, but I didn’t expect anyone to try and help me. It was a nice card indicating that they were thinking about me, signed by each of my coworkers. Inside was a key to a workout room for an apartment building across the street from me (thanks P!) and there was a gas card. A ONE HUNDRED DOLLAR gas card.

They couldn’t have chosen something better to help me with. They couldn’t have done something nicer. Sometimes, when things are hard, people will surprise you. I’m feeling pretty good about home life, and family life. We are still having our struggles, and really, those will never completely go away. It was nice to know that people around me, the people I see and work with everyday, recognize that I am really struggling to hold it together. It felt really good. It reminded me that God is in my life, and he is working his miracles to give me all the tools I need to keep going.

Sometimes, Blessings just come from the most unexpected places, at the most unexpected times.

If you are a coworker of mine, and you are reading this, A THOUSAND THANK YOUS!

6 comments:

art-sweet said...

Yay co-workers!

Scott K. Johnson said...

How great is that!?!!

That was very nice of them - and it's apparent that you are very touched by it.

Minnesota Nice said...

What a nice affirming act of kindness.
You must also be valued a lot at work.

Major Bedhead said...

How lovely! People can really surprise you with their kindness.

Penny Ratzlaff said...

"It reminded me that God is in my life, and he is working his miracles to give me all the tools I need to keep going."

Thank you for posting this. I needed that reminder today too. I'm glad your reminder came by way of a kind act from others.

Christine said...

That's great! It sounds like you work with a nice group of people.