Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Case of the Neuropathies

That’s right. I have a case of the neuropathy bug. Want to know the most intriguing bit about it? It is not diabetes related. Oh no. This neuropathy is of the work-related variety. Fun stuff that work related variety of neuropathy!

Yesterday I was diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy. If you aren’t familiar with this particular type of neuropathy, don’t feel bad, I wasn’t either until yesterday. Seeing as how I so obviously set the standard for acquired medical knowledge in the average joe (guffaw….), this is not something you are expected to have in your medical knowledge arsenal unless you or your significant other is directly affected by it.

I’ve been having quite a bit of pain in my hand, specifically weakness and pain in my fourth and fifth fingers. All of the sudden on Monday afternoon, I realized that despite repeated attempts, opening a jar of peanut butter with my right hand was damn near impossible. Also, gripping the steering wheel sent bouts of pain up to my elbow, and picking up my daughter is not to be advised as I will more than likely drop her. Concerned, I went immediately to my direct superviser which resulted in a doctor’s appointment the following morning.

So, as a modicum of treatment, I will be receiving Occupational Therapy for my hand. Ah ha! I will be joining my Sandis and my Gracie in the realms of OT. How funny is that? Our habilitation center must just love my family of needs.

I’ll keep you tuned in as to how my hand progresses. In the meantime, HR at work here is all in a tizzy trying to get my work station figured out so it is less injurious to my person. Noble goals. Noble goals.

3 comments:

Lyrehca said...

Good luck with the therapy! Does this mean the therapy could get the pain to go away entirely?

Molly said...

Wow. A neuropathy I've never heard of... and another one that I DON'T want. Hope that seeing an OT can help alleviate some of the pain and discomfort.! Have a nice weekend with the cuties.

Maddy said...

Sorry to hear about the hand - it's only when we 'can't' that we realise how much we need them!

'Family' occupational therapy! Hope you don't have to take out a second mortgage. There again if you have to fill out medical insurance claim bills with your hand writing......
Best wishes