Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Friday, January 19, 2007

Sick Day

I'm taking a sick day today. I don't know how I got it into my head that I could somehow afford one, but I'm taking four hours paid and four hours unpaid. And then I'm working tomorrow. I just missed the healthy train and caught the rotten train yesterday.

I had a short and sweet oral surgery yesterday removing a small lesion from my left cheek. It was short. It was sweet. A couple hours afterwards it was fairly painful (I know I'm a wuss, but it WAS six stitches), and then a couple hours after that the nausea hit me.

I woke up on and off with nausea last night, and this morning was so icky that I just couldnt drag my butt into work. Add to that two unusual days in a row where my blood sugars bottomed out through dinner and I had to skip dinner boluses two nights in a row. And then gastroparesis rearing its icky ugly head making me feel like a bloated fat balloon every time I put something in my mouth, not helping with my dinner time lows, and certainly not helping with the skyward 250 -280 sugar I have been experiencing at 1am because of delayed digestion. If this continues, I may have to consult a gastroenterologist (sp?) but for now, I'm gonna see if just not eating doesn't do the trick for a few days. Plus Im sure my T3 didn't help with my absorption much last night.

So here's to feeling better by later tonight, and Arby's for dinner. Because, damn, I am NOT going grocery shopping tonight! (Although I truly need to!)

10 comments:

Maddy said...

Yuck! 6 stitches. How come anything inside your mouth always feels like a football rather than a pimple? Too many nerve endings I suspect. I just don't know how you cope with all those diabetes calculations. You must be a superb mathematician too.
Hope you're back soon.
Best wishes

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Oh sorry you are so sick Sarah.... Get well soon , pls!

Minnesota Nice said...

About 10 years ago I was told I had gastroparesis and it only lasted a few months and I have had no problem since. Go figure.

oh BTW, have you had those new Southwestern Eggrolls at Arby's? Yeah, they're deep fried and full of salt, but you could split an order with Pumpkin and Peanut.

jill. said...

Yuck feeling sick is a bummer. You certainly deserved a day off anyway! I hope you get well soon!

Amberthyme said...

I hope you feel better soon and take it easy when you get back to work. Too bad you can't have your groceries delivered.

Vivian said...

Feel better Ms. Sarah. We will be thinking of you and praying for the best.

Anne Findlay said...

Hey Sarah,
Sorry to hear you've been feeling sick. I hope you get well soon.
-Anne

mysamiam said...

Am a fellow Minnesotan saying hi, as I found your blog on the autism ring. Enjoy reading your post. Hope you are better soon!!!! Peace to you from Maple Grove.

HVS said...

Hope you feel better soon- health problems certainly have a way of stacking up.(blood sugars gone whacky are the last straw) Take care.
-Heidi

KC's Blog said...

Feel better soon Sarah, prayers headed your way from Arizona!