Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Sunday, May 06, 2007

How May I Help?

When faced with an opportunity to judge families who are clearly struggling, I encourage you to offer your help and make an effort to assist. I encourage you to carry the burden of social responsibility on your own shoulders. I encourage you to build fellow families up rather than find reasons to tear them down.

Whether you are a teen, a young mom, a parent of a teen, or a retired adult with grown children, I beg of you to take the road less travelled and retire from the judgement that is so easy to slip into.

Please acknowledge what you cannot know and assume humility in such a way that you may offer your assistance without offering counsel. Please offer your help in a way that is useful and immediately felt.

And should you feel that the situation is such that a voice must be raised, I ask you to say this only: "I can see that you are having trouble, is there any way I can help you?"

Because our social responsibilities are not only to our families and friends, but also to one another, regardless of whether we have previously crossed paths.

That is what makes humanity, well, human.

7 comments:

BetterCell said...

I feel that those who are willing to help and offer assistance are too few around.
Can I help you?

Nic said...

I agree, and I echo Bettercell's question. I think about you a lot. For one thing, our hometowns are only an hour apart and I wonder if our paths have ever crossed (even though I no longer live in MN). For another, we are the same age, and both diabetics, but while I am going nuts just trying to pay the bills on time, you have your (very capable) hands full with two children with demanding health issues. And each time I read your blog I say, "wow, is MileMasterSarah doing a GREAT job." Don't be afraid to ask for help!

meanderings said...

I agree w/ "nic," - ask for some help. So often I've wanted to offer but am afraid of being offensive and seeming judgemental. I've certainly had my share of the kids acting up in places - one air trip was a total fiasco.
I don't know how you do everything you do - and still sound so happy and sane.
Hope you had a good trip in spite of some bumps...

Minnesota Nice said...

Absolutely, Sarah. Since my trial on crutches two years ago, I am much more aware that people need assistance - old people, young people, people with kids, etc. Every day there is a chance to help. And, you know, it feels really good to do so.

Sarah said...

I just wanted to say thank you for the various offers of help :) You are all so very nice. We had a hard day today, and it was frustrating and painful for my family in many ways. I think when I have an opportunity to process today I hopefully write about it in a way that is not so over-emotional that it lacks insight. This is my hope. Outside of detailing today, I just wanted to share what we want and need during difficult times out in public. You are all so kind to me, so thank you for that.

Molly said...

That is one thing that I really work with my students on...being kind and helping others. It's very important and makes you feel purposeful. Having Dixie around makes it easier to teach that. ("...Dixie needs your help. She can't do it herself.") I hope that the kids will continue to help others when they leave elementary school.
Hope that your trip was fun.

mumkeepingsane said...

I hope you're able to find the help that you need when you need it.

It's something I wonder about sometimes....why some people offer help and others do not. I try and teach my children to always offer help if they think it's needed.