Health care is a basic human right, not a privilege. For some reason, we’ve allowed ourselves as Americans to be fooled into accepting that one must be blessed with “means” to actuate appropriate health care. As a nation we have failed to realize that our health care system is a barometer of our society’s value for human life.

-Me

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Voluntary Attorney???

Voluntary? As In Free?

Yeeehaaa!

You are now reading the prose of a "represented woman". And not just any "represented woman" but a woman who has "free" or rather "voluntary" representation.

I called the Minnesota Legal Services today and requested a voluntary attorney. Now I didn't have any idea if I would qualify for such services, as all I was told when given this number is that only certain types of cases qualify for this service.

Well, slap me silly (not really), but my "case" qualifies for a voluntary attorney. And I now have representation.

I mailed the letter I posted yesterday via certified mail w/ delivery receipt to the Housing Coalition President. I copied said letter along with an additional letter and sent it via certified mail w/ delivery receipt to Attorney General Lori Swanson. I then obtained an attorney.

And I'm feeling pretty fine about the whole damn thing.

I will be receiving a letter either today or tomorrow with my new attorney's name and I will be contacting them at the earliest on Tuesday and the latest on Wednesday.

And you know what? When the Housing Coalition decides to follow up with me concerning my four page law-ridden letter?

I'm going to give them the contact information of my lawyer.

*Happy Dance In The Corner Sarah*

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm sorry you have to go through this crap. All of this over a damn key.

But it does have a certain sense of satisfaction to stick to them especially when your lawyer services are free!!

I hope you get the management shaking in their boots!

Camera Obscura said...

Bwah-hah-hah! (Evil laugh, with hand-rolling.)

Go, girl.

Oh, and I'd keep a copy of all correspondence w/ the housing corp, in case they decide to end your lease agreement on some trumped-up reason in retaliation.

BetterCell said...

Good going Sarah!!
I am glad that you have representation.